For students who want the arts to be part of their experience at Virginia Tech regardless of their chosen major, Studio 72 encourages creative approaches to problem solving, with an emphasis on collaborative art-making in both curricular and co-curricular settings. Each academic year will culminate in a student-run showcase of art created by students in collaboration with one another. Visiting artists, faculty, staff, and upper-division students in the community provide a support structure and experiential mentoring.
The Arts Live Here...
The artist’s most creative work is made where they can explore their art freely. In Studio 72, our philosophy is that time and space to create art is the key to tapping into that creativity. Here students come to understand the arts as essential to the human experience. As a member of this new community, you will:
- Have exclusive access to studio space in Pritchard Hall, the home of Studio 72.
- Meet and workshop with visiting artists on campus
- Take ART 1104 Language of the Arts, a course about creativity and the artistic process with other community members (encouraged but not required; notify program director at email@example.com if you're interested in this course)
- Experience arts events on campus and in the town of Blacksburg with other members of the community
- Participate in weekly discussions about process and critique
- Belong in a community of people who also create and love the arts.